OpenDBCamp 2011 @ FrOSCon
Date and Location
The European OpenDBCamp 2011 is taking place in parallel to the Free and Open Source Conference 2011 (FrOSCon) on Saturday 20th and Sunday 212st August at the Fachhochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg in St. Augustin, Germany. St. Augustin is located close to Bonn and Cologne.
- The camp takes place in one dedicated room. A live stream of the sessions will be available from http://live.froscon.org/
- Most of the sessions will be recorded and can later be viewed from http://froscon.tv/
- Visitor information (Getting there, accommodation information, ticket prices)
Rachel:I had a similar (though apehprs less apehprs less dramatic) moment last night. I have three boys: 6, 8 and 13. We've always encouraged them to read, since BC my wife and I used to read as a hobby. We manage a lot less of it now. Anyway, all three of the boys read, but the middle one, Mark, doesn't seem to enjoy it. (Actually, that reminds me of my younger brother.) Last night I was snatching 10 minutes of book time, while they were getting ready for bed. Mark finished first and he climbed into bed with me carrying a book (one of the Magic Treehouse series if you don't know it yet, you will.) We have a bunch of those books around and he's never shown much interest. Before last night. Anyway, without saying anything, he just read with me for 15 minutes or so before Mom broke it up and shuffled us off to bed.
Attendees of this conference are mostly open source developers and end users/open source enthusiasts. The FrOSCon organizers agreed to provide us with a "Developer Room" for both days, which allows us to organize our own subconference about Open Source Databases. The goal of this event is to spread the word about the vibrant communities and large ecosystems around Open Source Databases and to educate the attendees about what alternatives exist to commercial databases.
Call for participation
The call for participation this time draws from the large number of submissions that could not be placed in the main FrOSCon schedule. Due to the great quality we dedided to open an extra venue for database related talks
OpenSQLCamp is organized by Volker Oboda and Felix Schupp. We are approaching relevant projects directly and invite them to join us. Again, we will make use of the FrOSCon infrastructure, e.g. their conference system at http://cfp.froscon.de/.
Slides from the Talks
- OpenDB Camp Keynote by Henrik Ingo
- MySQL Replikation für Einsteiger by Oli Sennhauser
- Breaking the database type barrier: replicating across different DBMS by Linas Virbalas
- Scaling with MongoDB by Alvin Richards
- MySQL Sandbox: a framework for laziness by Giuseppe Maxia (slides are from 2010)
- MariaDB - Community MySQL by Monty
- PostgreSQL Streaming Replication by Simon Riggs (slides still missing)
- How to migrate from other database systems to PostgreSQL by Holger Jakob (Examples are here)
- Using Cacti to Graph MySQL's Metrics by Gryp